Email: [email protected]
Phone: (757) 223-4545
- Product Liability
- Personal Injury
- Maritime Litigation
- Jones Act Litigation
- Asbestos Litigation
- Talc Litigation
- Roundup Litigation
- 3M Litigation
Hugh McCormick has been advocating for victims and families devastated by mesothelioma and asbestos-related lung diseases in both state and federal courts for more than 25 years. In his role as a first chair trial lawyer and partner at Patten, Wornom, Hatten & Diamonstein, LC., he has litigated, tried and served on numerous asbestos legal teams. He has been an integral part of obtaining multi-million-dollar verdicts for shipyard workers and U.S. Navy sailors.
Landmark Asbestos Cases
During McCormick’s tenure at the firm, he has served on two trial teams that, as reported by Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly, were recognized for obtaining Virginia’s largest verdicts:
- 10th largest verdict in 2008
- Fifth largest verdict in 2010
Early Legal Career
After earning his Bachelor of Science degree at Washington & Lee University, McCormick clerked for Patten, Wornom, Hatten & Diamonstein. He then went on to earn his Juris Doctor at Ohio Northern University Claude W. Pettit College of Law and began practicing at PWHD upon his graduation.
A resident of the Virginia peninsula for more than 45 years, McCormick grew up in Newport News. This background has given him the opportunity to represent friends, neighbors and others in the area who have been victimized by corporate indifference and greed.
McCormick has been recognized by his peers for his accomplishments. This includes receiving the coveted AV Preeminent rating from Martindale- Hubbell, which has been evaluating attorneys for more than 130 years. Candidates are peer-reviewed and ranked for their legal expertise, ethical standards and communication skills. After reviewing the results of a candidate’s peer review ratings, Martindale-Hubbell presents the attorney with one of three ratings: Notable, Distinguished or AV Preeminent, which is the highest rating.
McCormick has also been selected for Best Lawyers in America – a peer-reviewed award that gives attorneys the opportunity to recognize the outstanding achievements and legal abilities of their colleagues. In 2021, McCormick received this recognition for his work in Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions for Plaintiffs and Product Liability Litigation for Plaintiffs.
- Ohio Northern University Claude W. Pettit College of Law – Juris Doctor
- Washington & Lee University – Bachelor of Science Biology
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Awards and Accolades
- Best Lawyers in America 27th Edition
- AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers
Memberships and Associations
- American Association for Justice
- Leaders Forum Member
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (Board of Governors 2006-2010)
- Newport News Bar Association