Email: [email protected]
Phone: (757) 223-4545
- Asbestos Litigation
- Federal Court Appeals
- State Court Appeals
- Maritime Litigation
- Jones Act Litigation
- Talc Litigation
- Roundup Litigation
- 3M Litigation
- State Workers Compensation
- Longshore & Harbor Workers Compensation
- Veteran’s Administration Claims
For the past 15 years, Erin Jewell has represented many asbestos victims, helping them recover compensation for occupational and secondary exposure. Her wide range of clients include shipyard workers, veterans, railroad employees, refinery and power plant workers, boiler mechanics, construction workers and phone company workers.
Jewell has also helped asbestos victims and others injured by toxic chemicals and devices recover workers’ compensation benefits and disability benefits before the Department of Labor, Veteran’s Administration and Virginia Workers’ Compensation Commission.
As part of the asbestos trial team, Jewell’s practice is primarily focused on:
- Preparing and trying cases to verdict in state and federal courts
- Representing spouses and children with asbestos-related diseases after secondary exposure from contact with their family members’ work clothes at home
- Obtaining workers’ compensation benefits for injured workers and spouses under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act and the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act
- Recovering disability benefits for veterans with illnesses related to asbestos exposure from the Veteran’s Administration
Jewell also represents individuals who have been injured by other defective drugs, other toxic chemicals and medical devices.
Largest Asbestos Verdicts
Jewell, along with her colleagues, has secured several multi-million-dollar asbestos litigation verdicts. Jewell’s extensive trial experience includes serving on trial teams that obtained verdicts which were reported in Virginia’s Largest Verdicts of 2008 and 2012, as reported by Virginia Lawyers Weekly.
To be included in this annual compilation by Virginia Lawyer’s Weekly, verdicts must be at least one million, must be returned in a Virginia court and must have been announced during that calendar year.
Early Legal Career
Jewell earned her bachelor’s degree at Old Dominion University and her Juris Doctor at Regent University Law School. She was admitted to the Virginia State Bar and joined the law firm Patten, Wornom, Hatten & Diamonstein, L.C. in 2005. Jewell has since become a Partner of the firm.
Jewell has been selected by her fellow peers for inclusion in the 2020 list of Virginia Super Lawyers. The annual selection process involves a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates, and peer reviews by practice area. In the final selection, just five percent of all nominated attorneys are chosen for this designation.
Jewell was also named to the Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Stars list for seven times, including in 2010 and from 2013 through 2019. Only 2.5 percent of nominees are selected for this list. A candidate must be either 40 years old or younger or in practice for ten years or less.
Jewell has recently been recognized by The National Trial Lawyers: Top 40 Under 40, an organization made up of the top trial lawyers from each state or region who are not yet 40 years old. Membership is by invitation only and is extended exclusively to civil plaintiff lawyers and criminal defense lawyers.
- Regent University Law School – Juris Doctor
- Old Dominion University – Bachelor of Arts in Communications, Minor in Spanish
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
Awards and Accolades
- Super Lawyers, Personal Injury – Products (2020)
- Super Lawyers, “Virginia Rising Stars” (2010, 2013-2019)
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 40 Under 40 (2019)
Memberships and Associations
- American Association for Justice (AAJ)
- Board of Governors – Revitalization Board Seat (2018-present)
- State Delegate (2016-2018)
- Voter Protection Act Committee (2016-present)
- Women’s Caucus Fundraising Committee (2019-present)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association (VTLA)
- Board of Governors (2013-present)
- District Governor (2018-present)
- VTLA/AAJ Governor (2018-present)
- Torts Legislative Subcommittee (2019-present)
- Fundraising Committee Co-Chair (2020-present)
- Seminar Chair, Women’s Caucus: “A Trauma Informed Practice” (Richmond, May 2019)
- Convention Committee (2017-present)
- Women’s Caucus Leadership Committee (2014-present)
- Women’s Caucus Chair (2018-2019)
- CLE Committee Chair (2017-2018)
- Diversity Committee Co-Chair (2016)
- Diversity Committee Chair (2015-2016)
- Young Trial Lawyer’s Section Chair (2013-2014)
- Newport News Bar Association