Email: [email protected]
Phone: (757) 223-4545
- Asbestos Litigation
- Talc Litigation
Over more than five decades, Donald Patten has represented many different individuals and businesses in product liability and negligence claims, commercial contract disputes and real estate affairs. However, his primary focus for many years has been in asbestos litigation. He has helped thousands of asbestos victims in lawsuits filed in several states, most notably in Virginia, Ohio, Texas and Mississippi.
Other accomplishments in the field of asbestos litigation include:
- Arguing pretrial motions and complex legal issues in state and federal courts
- Deposing hundreds of expert and/or factual witnesses, from medical professionals to economists, industrial hygienists, corporate executives and shipyard workers
- Representing clients in multi-jurisdictional asbestos-related bankruptcy cases filed in Virginia, Florida, Pennsylvania, New York and Illinois
Early Legal Career
A native of Newport News, Patten earned his bachelor’s degree at the University of Richmond and his Juris Doctor at the University of Virginia School of Law.
He received his license to practice law in 1967 and joined the law firm Patten & Wornom in 1968 (now known as Patten, Wornom, Hatten & Diamonstein, L.C.). He has since become a Partner of the firm.
Patten has been consistently recognized by his fellow peers in the legal profession. His peers have selected him for inclusion in the Best Lawyers of America each year since 2001. Recognition is based on evaluations from leading lawyers within the same geographical legal practice area. Lawyers must receive enough positive reviews from colleagues and be in good standing with their local bar association.
Patten has also been selected for the Super Lawyers list for 15 years straight (each year since 2006). The annual selection process includes a statewide survey of lawyers, an independent research evaluation of candidates and peer reviews by practice area. Attorneys are chosen based on peer recognition and professional achievement. In the end, only five percent of all nominated attorneys make the final list.
- University of Virginia School of Law – Juris Doctor
- University of Richmond – Bachelor of Arts
- Supreme Court of Virginia
- Supreme Court of United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
Awards and Accolades
- Awarded the highest “AV” rating by Martindale-Hubbell Legal Directory
- The Best Lawyers in America (since 2001)
- Recipient of the Brotherhood Citation Award from the National Conference of Community and Justice
- Super Lawyers (2006-2020)
Memberships and Associations
- American Association for Justice
- Leaders Forum Member
- American Bar Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Newport News Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Former Rector and a member of the Board of Visitors of the College of William & Mary
- Previous Member of the Newport News City Council and Vice Mayor
- Previous Member of the Virginia State Council of Higher Education
- Served as Chairman of Mary Immaculate Hospital
- Served as Chairman of the Planning Commission
- Served as Chairman of the Peninsula Airport Commission
- Served as President of the Christopher Newport University Education Foundation
- Served as President of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association